Monday, December 27, 2010

Unfinished Business in 2010

This is my last post for 2010. It has been one of those landmark years chocked full of varied experiences; new countries, career changes, new friends, illnesses and lost loved ones. It is always interesting to me that the end of a year takes on such significance in our lives. For practical purposes, it is an abstract concept and the first of January will follow on after December 31 much in the same way that January 2nd will come into being and the days after that.

Despite this understanding that life will go on (all things being equal), I feel a bit panicked as I realise that I did not take enough time to make notes to capture the emotions that I have felt at different junctures in this period of my life. I feel (irrationally) as if these memories may be dulled, even wiped clean and I will be presented with a clean slate on January 1, 2011. These notes could be the key to helping me to relive the raw emotions and impressions and thus enrich a character or scene in a future best selling novel.

So excuse the brevity of this post while I pull out my notebooks and write, write, write!

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I often do expand or deepen notes in my journals as time goes on, partly because of the need for my writing, but partly just to hang on to the memories before they are gone.

Liane Spicer said...

I never touch old journal entries, much as I'm tempted to, because they depict the way I thought and saw at that particular time. It's sometimes galling to see how much clearer hindsight can be.