Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflective Me

We're nearing the end of another year, and as usual, I'm feeling reflective. I always start the new year with a slate of goals, both personal and professional. My intentions are always good, but the follow through...not so much. Lose weight has been a staple since the age of five, I'm sure. Eventually, I'm going to focus more on health than the actual weight. Maybe that will trigger something in my brain that allows me to finally get where I want to be, health and weight-wise.

Another annual list-maker is my vow to be more productive in regards to my writing. But here's the thing, I can write thirty pages in a day, and some nagging voice will tell me that I could have striven for thirty-five. I've come to accept that I will never be satisfied with my output, yet every year I will vow to improve.

Then there are those nebulous goals of being less selfish and being an overall nicer person. They are things I really can't measure, but I try to achieve them all the same.

In addition to those yearly goals, I have a master list. It's a list I came up with in 2006 of eight things I vow to accomplish eventually. Up until this year, I had only checked off one item on that list, "Make a First Sale." This year, I was able to check off another, "Travel Abroad."

I know there is a psychology behind making these lists. For me, the joy always comes in the sense of accomplishment I feel when I can finally draw a line through one of the items. But, as with so many things, it isn't just getting to that destination, it's also about the journey. I always learn a bit more about myself as I work toward my resolutions. More often than not, I learn that I can do so much more when I focus and don't allow my inner fear to slow me down. Even when I don't reach my ultimate goal, the satisfaction that comes from knowing that I gave it my best shot is something I cherish.

For those of you who make resolutions, tell me the reasons why. You don't have to share your actual resolutions, but I do want to know why you feel compelled to make them.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I always make them to better myself. I have been 100% successful on them all! They include: stop drinking (I did not drink much, but I stopped even socially), stop cursing (successful for years, then I started back this year), attend church regularly. For 2011 it's to not buy any new clothes all year! The hardest ever. This year I would not buy any new workout DVDs and have succeeded, well, the year is not over yet, but I can make it another week.

Charles Gramlich said...

Around my mid 40s I stopped making resolutions simply because I never really carried them out for very long. Plus I kind of learned to live with what I do and how I do it, and know it's just my way these days.

Shauna Roberts said...

I make resolutions to face up to my many bad habits, acknowledge them, and work to change them. Also, I set goals for my writing to keep me on track.

Kaye said...

To quit from smoking and drinking would be the most difficult new year's resolution I'll be working on.

Jewel Amethyst said...

I hadn't made resolutions since I was nineteen, until last year. Sometime in the future I would blog about that resolution and the outcome.

Farrah Rochon said...

Still not satisfied. I'm still massaging my resolutions into a workable list.