Monday, December 13, 2010

Twelve Writing Resolutions of Christmas




It is that time of year when resolutions are made for the New Year. Whether they are actually kept or not is often a different story, depending on how realistic such declarations may be.

I usually do not make yearend resolutions, figuring I am already motivated enough to do the things I might want to over the next twelve months-- such as exercise more, keep the weight down, improve on my craft, and avoid taking undue risks that could put my health in peril, etc.

But with the clock ticking on 2010 and my turn to blog, I thought it might be fun to make twelve writing resolutions for 2011:

1. I would like to expand my reach as a writer by becoming more involved with eBook publication, as this appears to be gaining ground among readers, with more and more equipped with all the latest digital reading devices.

2. I would like to up my daily quota of written material by 3 to 5 pages, which seems well within reach, especially on days that I'm on a roll.

3. I would like to spread my wings into young adult fiction, believing I have some great ideas that would appeal to this group. Indeed, I just released my first YA romance, HER TEEN DREAM, and have a YA ghost tale, GHOST GIRL IN SHADOW BAY, in the pipeline.

4. I would like to do more book signings. Not sure if they do much to increase overall sales, but it is nice to interact with fans who show up and are willing to shell out money to buy something you wrote.

5. I would like to donate more books to libraries. My publishers often give me more author copies of my books than I can give away to family and friends, meaning they usually tend to pile up in boxes in the garage. Library shelves would be a much better fit.

6. I would like to try and direct more traffic to my website, which is very cool with some great sounds to keep visitors company. But like other writers, I am battling a cross wind that is making author websites practically irrelevant with FaceBook, MySpace, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social networks giving readers all they need to know about writers.

7. I would like to read more for pleasure (something that has taken a real hit in recent years as I have focused on my own books). A fringe benefit of reading fiction and nonfiction as well is that it tells you what is being published so you can make sure your own writings remain relevant to today's times.

8. I would like to go to more writing conferences and conventions. These are a great way to socialize with your peers and get motivated to try and keep pace with your own writings.

9. I would like to volunteer more of my time and knowledge in helping other up and coming writers. Even a few words of wisdom can go a long ways in giving writers confidence and advice that could mean the difference between success and failure.

10. I would like to make one bestseller list or another. This is always a lofty goal of mine and have found some success there. Being amongst the top sellers in your field is always the highest form of flattery.

11. I would like to see if I can make some inroads into audio versions of some of my material. Short of seeing your novels adapted to the screen, hearing your books being read can be very gratifying.

12. Last, but not least, I hope to continue to learn ways to be an even more effective writer in plots and presentation. As the old adage goes, "The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement."

What writing resolution would like you to make for the New Year?

Any other resolutions that are important to you for 2011?

7 comments:

Farrah Rochon said...

Great resolutions, Devon. Mine always seems to be to increase my output and be more discipline in regards to my writing.

Tom Doolan said...

I resolve to actually complete a few projects.

Charles Gramlich said...

Great ones. I'd have to try for a subset of these, particularly maybe the webbased one. I'd like to increase my productivity but it doesn't seem to be happening. Some of these are almost mutually exclusive.

Marissa Monteilh said...

I second each and every one of your 12 - great post!!!!

G. B. Miller said...

I resolve to continue pushing myself to complete the other necessary components so that I can jump in feet first and query my novel.

And maybe re-start that next project that I put aside while I was busy finishing those particular components in question.

Devon Vaughn Archer said...

I suppose the important thing is to have something to shoot for in the writing business. There are many variables to getting publishing and staying published. Putting our best feet forward gives us a leg up on the competition!

Happy writing to all in 2011!

Jewel Amethyst said...

I resolve to complete my WIP after almost a year of working on it.