Sunday, May 1, 2011

Writing Conferences: Five reasons to attend

This week I attended the 16th Annual Romance Slam Jam conference in Baltimore, MD. I'm a huge fan of any event that will help me connect with readers, and give me the opportunity to see some of my personal favorite authors. For anyone who has contemplated attending a writing/reader conference, here are a few reasons you most definitely should:

1. You meet people who are just as rabid about books as you are! Only those who are truly devoted will shell out money for a conference fee, airfare, and hotel. These are real fans.

2. Networking opportunities abound! Authors can network with readers and fellow authors. Aspiring writers can connect with agents and editors. And people who share a passion for books can network with each other.
3. You get to see other parts of the country! Since I started attending writing conferences I've visited San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Reno, Denver, Washington, D.C., and many other cities around the U.S. It's a great time to get out and explore other parts of the country. Unfortunately for this trip I only saw the inside of my hotel room when not in workshops, but I vow to return to lovely Baltimore soon.

4. Workshops! Workshops! Workshops! Over the past several days I have attended fabulous workshops that were presented by amazingly talented people. One of the BEST things about writing conferences is that you get valuable information from the pros, and they share it freely.

5. They're fun! Yes, there is much fun to be had at writing conferences. Even though your days may be filled with workshops and other sessions, there is ample opportunity to have tons of fun. From parties, to planned outings, to just hanging in the bar and chatting it up with fellow readers and writers. When in the company of like-minded people, you can't help but enjoy yourself.

Remember, conferences don't have to cost you and arm and a leg. There are bunches of smaller, regional conferences that offer tons of information and valuable networking opportunities. Take the plunge. Attend a writing conference!

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Yes indeed. I always come home so energized.

Jewel Amethyst said...

I totally agree, Farrah. RSJ was my very first writers' conference and I am hooked.

Shauna Roberts said...

Glad you had so much fun. Hope you were mobbed by hordes of fans.

Liane Spicer said...

I'm sold. So looking forward to my first - whenever that may be.