Sunday, April 17, 2011

Brain Food

I've turned over a new leaf.

That's right. Gone are the fried foods, tons of sugar, and bad carbohydrates. As I've added healthier grains, fish, and more fresh fruits and vegetables to my diet, I discovered that many of the foods I've been eating are also great "brain" foods--things that help with memory and brain function.

Here are a few:

Sugar! Yes, sugar is good for you. But it's the natural sugar that's found in fruits and such. Natural sugar helps to increase alertness, so eat your fruits!

Fish. Specifically those that are rich in Omega 3. It's a memory booster, and those healthy fats are good for your heart. I'm from the land of fried catfish poboys, so even though I've always been a big fish eater, it wasn't always the healthiest choice. I've added more salmon and ahi tuna to my diet. Here's a tip. After grilling your salmon, drizzle with a bit of natural agave nectar. Spectacular!

Blueberries. I've eaten more blueberries in the past month than I have in my entire life. Studies have shown that blueberries improve learning capacity and motor skills. I'm not sure if that's true or not. I just know that they taste delicious! I add them to everything, from salads, to yogurt, to oatmeal, and my whole wheat, whole grain pancakes.

The next two really make me smile...

Coffee. Coffee is an antioxidant. It also aids in alertness (umm...no brainer here), but also helps reduce mental decline over the years.

Chocolate!!! Seriously, I'm not kidding. I learned that a piece of decadent dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, and also enhances focus and concentration.

Go forth and eat your chocolate. Drink your coffee. Just don't put them together in a sugar-laden, extra-large chocolate mocha drink.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I admire you. I'm not there yet.

Farrah Rochon said...

Dr. Gramlich, it stems from my mother having to lose about 60 pounds. I've become her personal cook, so I'm just eating the things that she does. I do feel much, much better.

Shauna Roberts said...

Good for you, Farrah!

Liane Spicer said...

Farrah, that's inspirational! I try, but my will is weak. Good to hear positive stuff about coffee and chocolate for a change.