Saturday, February 26, 2011

FAMILY SUPPORT

Last fall I gave a writing presentation at the Farmington Community Library. After a brief introduction by the head librarian, I started my presentation on the romance genre. Suddenly, the doors to the auditorium opened and a middle aged blond entered the room. I watched her quietly slip into a seat at the closest available table. She seemed familiar, but I couldn't put a name to her face. She smiled at me and I smiled back in greeting and thanks for attending my program.

A senior lady on a cane slowly followed and sat next to the blond. Frowning, I stared at the woman when a sudden streak of enlightenment hit me. There sat my only living aunt. Before I realized what I was saying I muttered to the audience, "Oh, that's my aunt."

Laughter filled the auditorium. After a moment I composed myself and went on with my presentation. After the program ended, I left the stage and hugged my aunt, dodging the cane as she struck out at me. I asked her how she found out about the program. My aunt pointed at the blond and answered, "Sue."

Shaking her cane at me, my aunt demanded to know, "Why didn't you tell me?"

I shrugged, wondering how I was going to explain my feelings to her. There is a fine line between asking for family members support and becoming a pain in the rear. I answered, "I don't want you guys to get sick of me and start avoiding me each time someone mentions my name."

"Well, I'm your family. If your mother was alive, she'd be here for you. Since she can't, it's my job."

She was right. I didn't realize how much I needed that support until she said those words. Or how much her approval meant to me.

Having friends and family support you in your writing endeavor is huge. Writing can be a lonely business. We need those people that support us. I loved having my aunt with me and hope she'll attend other events. Family support goes both ways. I plan to be available whenever she needs me.

How about you? Do you have a second career or hobby that needs the encouragement of family and friends?

I'd love to hear from you. Click on the link below and let me know your thoughts.

Remember, don't be a stranger.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Quite a few members of my family have been very supportive of my writing, including a couple of nieces who describe themselves as my biggest fans. That's pretty nice.

Jewel Amethyst said...

I originally tried to keep my writing a secret, but when I revealed it to my family members, just about everyone, including my 7 year old daughter, were very supportive.

She insisted that I give her a signed copy of my book even though she is not old enough to read it. I told her she can read it when she turns sixteen. She can't wait to turn sixteen.

kittitianhill said...

Hello,
SIDF contribution must be between US$ 200,000 to US$ 400,000, depending on the number of members of the family applying for citizenship. This includes all registration and due diligence fees, except legal fees of the promoting agent.
st kitts economic citizenship