Sunday, August 30, 2015

Getting Old(er) What an Adventure

by Velda Brotherton

One thing I’m certain of, no one can dodge the final part of our life. We have to get through it come comets or floods. Now I’m not about to start whining and whimpering over the trip we all make at the end of the living one. It’s pretty wild, to say the least. The other day I caught myself carrying on a complete conversation with my cat. I realize it’s not unusual for humans to talk to their pets, but this was a bit far out. Because, she began to reply to my questions and the funniest part is I understood every word she said.

Some of you know that my husband is now in a long term care facility. He went into rehab April 17, and was later transferred because he can’t improve any further. I’ll have to admit it’s more difficult on him than it is on me. He has depression and I tend to be manic most of the time, so you can see why. I also have a job. Yes, at 79 I was hired as a--whoops, I forgot my title, but really I have no trouble doing my job. I work for the company that publishes my books because I needed something else besides writing to keep me busy. Since I know a lot of contacts, I’m helping with distribution and event scheduling. I think I’m called the Distribution Director.

While I’m finishing up yet another historical romance for the Wild Rose Press, I’m sending introduction letters to libraries along with delivering our catalogs so they can put our company books on their shelves. Oh, and my latest book, A Savage Grace, will be out in September from Oghma Creative Media.

So don’t tell me old people are supposed to sit around in a rocking chair and knit shawls. Oh, there’s nothing wrong with that if it’s what one enjoys doing, but I’d rather write or hold a book signing or attend a writer’s conference. And with the help of my friends, I’m still able to do that.

Not too long ago a workshop I was holding in Branson, Missouri was banned because of the title, "You’re Never Too Old for Sex". I was teaching how to add sensual scenes to romantic novels. Shoot, they talked about me on NPR and I had articles and radio shows all over the place discussing my daring do. I didn’t set out to cause such an uproar, it just happened, but I’ve sure had a lot of fun over it. Now I’m known as The Sex Queen in our writers’ group.

Told you it’s fun and adventuresome to grow old.

So my advice to all you, writers, readers, and everyone else. Keep enjoying every moment of every day cause you never know when you might get hit by a falling meteorite.

***

3 comments:

Liane Spicer said...

Velda, I love, love, love this post. I don't know how anyone ever survives getting old(er) without a massive sense of humor, keeping busy doing the things they love, and having lots of adventures. Looks like you got the recipe darn straight!



Charles Gramlich said...

I try to enjoy my time. The only thing that gets in the way is the workload sometimes that gives me no time to think and play a little.

Jewel Amethyst said...

I love this post. Makes me look forward to old age. I strongly believe every day on earth is a blessing and I thank God for it. I set out to live it to my fullest because it's a gift that isn't promised to everyone.