Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Let's talk blogging!

Authors, just as important as our dynamic Novel Spaces blog page is to us as far as being a tool, source of information, and way to keep up with other writers' goings-on in the business, also important is the bigger picture, and that is; the responsibility of authors to blog on a regular basis, simply as a way of communicating our thoughts and happenings to our readers, and colleagues.

Sometimes yes, it is easier said than done. To carve out time to write our thoughts and share ideas, especially when we have deadlines and life to tend to, is not as simple as even our best intentions may lead us to believe. It all boils down to making the time, sitting down, and doing it.

Commitment, diligence, creativity, focus, patience, a positive mindset, and the love of words, are all aspects of actually writing and posting a blog. Once we get started, what if the site isn't cooperating, or our proofreading skills leave us hanging with words that we read and reread ten times over, yet as soon as we hit publish and view it after it's released to the world, there's the word "might" instead of "tight," or "here" instead of "hair," and we're literally ready to pull our hair out just from the sheer frustration of the tricks our own eyes are playing on us? As with anything, email or novel, proofread, proofread, proofbreed, oops, I mean "read!"

Blogging is an important part of the business nowadays. Everything is online and communicated on a platform and/or page for the world to see. How fortunate are we to have the gift of these tools. What an amazing invention, even to be able to post on social media, share pics and videos, and so many other forums that we have at our fingertips to express ourselves.

The reward is in completing the post and ironing out the flaws, and sharpening it up, and reading it that one final time, which leads to a big smile and a deep exhale, even if it took an hour to write three paragraphs. But, it's done, we did it, we have shared our words and completed the task, and we can rest easily in knowing that we blogged today. We then wonder why we don't blog more often. It was actually kinda fun! Kinda!

What's in your head just before you sit down to blog? Do you have a positive attitude, or do you dread it? Do you blog on a random basis, or on set dates? Do you schedule your blogs ahead of time, writing them all at once? If you do, I salute you. If you don't, I'm with you.

Here's to fellow bloggers everywhere, even my granddaughter who can post a blog in ten minutes, all the while with a smile on her face - blog on, my literary sisters and brothers. Blog on!

5 comments:

Jewel Amethyst said...

I blog twice a month and spend the time in between wondering what topic to blog on. That's the hardest part, choosing a topic. Once I've chosen the topic, it's quite easy to write and post the blog.

Charles Gramlich said...

When I have a writing project I can blog about, I get a lot of joy out of blogging because it matches with what I'm striving to do throughout my days.

Unknown said...

I maintain two blogs-- one just to play around with my writing on and the other directed towards other writers.

I find the writer-oriented blog (www.athoughtgrows.blogspot.com) more chore-like, but love the contact with the writing community. However, there are more than enough posts about writing out there, so I try to steer towards other subjects.

The blog to play with writing (www.julieluek.blogspot.com) is definitely more challenging and scary for me, but it's a good venue to hone the writing discipline.

I'm still not convinced blogging is a should for all writers, but getting out and building some kind of platform and name recognition is necessary.

Liane Spicer said...

Depending on how much pressure I'm under otherwise, blogging can be a chore or a pleasure. These days I try to ensure it's always a pleasure by having at least one article prescheduled at any given time.

G. B. Miller said...

Blogging for me, is the platform that I used to launch my nascent writing career with.

Short version is that I've been blogging for 5 years this coming May and while it's been a chore at times, it's also been a great way to work on my writing, to meet new people, to make new friends and to have fun w/o being censored.

I could continue, but I don't want my comment to be longer than your blog post. :D