Monday, June 13, 2011
Favorite Teen Books
As the author of several well received YA novels, including HER TEEN DREAM, DANGER IN TIME, and GHOST GIRL IN SHADOW BAY, I am often asked what are my favorite teen books.
I have read so many great ones from over the years that I barely know where to begin in narrowing down to a manageable amount.
After giving it some thought, here are ten great books for teenagers that I enjoyed, in no particular order...
1. THE TURN OF THE SCREW by Henry James--helped me to discover ghosts and the supernatural in fiction early in life.
2. ROMEO AND JULIET by William Shakespeare--star crossed lovers that sticks with you forever.
3. OLIVER TWIST by Charles Dickens--what was better to get a good look at street life in Victorian England?
4.HARRY POTTER books by J.K. Rowling -- fascinating series about young wizard Harry Potter and other colorful characters.
5. TWILIGHT series by Stephenie Meyer--great with teen romance combined with vampires and werewolves.
6. HARDY BOYS by Franklin Dixon --loved these mystery and adventure novels growing up and they still read well today.
7. BILLY BUDD by Herman Melville -- great historical tale of adventure on the high seas.
8. DARK SECRETS series by Elizabeth Chandler -- wonderful haunting and suspense stories.
9. BOTH SIDES OF TIME series by Caroline Cooney -- as a time travel fan, enjoyed this set of YA romance books.
10. THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS by Ann Brashares -- a fun and imaginative series on friendship and adventure.
What are your favorite teen reads? What would you read over and over again, if time were not of the essence?