Monday, June 6, 2011

Day Jobs


I'm late posting this, because I have been working a day job for the last six weeks that has been exhausting. I write and produced on-air fundraising for Channel Thirteen in New York, and the job built up to a six hour music marathon on Saturday.

It was wild and crazy, live TV at its most challenging as we changed line-ups and segment lengths and orders to adjust our message as we enlisted new members. I am sorry I didn't get a longer blog up, but -- well, the reality of writing is that unless you are Stephen King or J.K. Rowling, you still need to work to pay the bills.

My cast and crew were great, I am exhausted, but the reward of the night was getting to meet Ronnie Spector, who was small enough to fit in my jacket pocket for a living Rock and Roll legend. There are some fun rewards of a day job from time to time, and I am going to appreciate the free time to write for the next few weeks even more as I look for the next gig.

5 comments:

KeVin K. said...

Time was I could do eight hours of day job and four hours of writing every day. And my day jobs have always been in human services or education, which means a lot of emotional and intellectual energy goes in to paying the mortgage. Now adays I don't seem to have that level of stamina available. After decades of living on five to six hours of sleep, I now need seven or even eight if I'm to make it through the day without either taking a nap or functioning on autopilot. I'm having to put some thought into how I do my day job and how much time I can alot for writing. I really had expected my career to be Stephen King strata by this point. Of course I'd also intended to be living on a space station by now. I'm a bit closer to one goal than the other, but not by much. Day jobs can be rewarding, but they do eat into the writing time.

G. B. Miller said...

Just wanted to make a frivolous comment in that Ronnie Spector looks fantastic for her age.

Liane Spicer said...

Same thought here, G. Terence, I like the perks of your day job.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool about meeting Ronnie spector. Love her voice.

Lynn Emery said...

The other side of having to work, and I have a day job, is you can use a lot of what you experience. I love Ronnie's voice, too. Cool that you got to hang meet her.