Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Break

Facebook. Twitter. Shelfari. YouTube. Goodreads. LinkedIn. E-mail loops. Blogs.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…

Sigh.

Sometimes social networking is just too much of a good thing.

Don’t get me wrong; most of the above networks are an important (and fun!) part of my daily routine. However, I remember what life was like before they came along.

Back then, I wrote short stories for the confession magazines on a used Smith-Corona word processor. And honestly, my head was filled with less mind clutter, and I got more actual writing done.

So in honor of the first day of spring, I’m taking a head-clearing, weekend break from it all.

I’ve turned off my regular cell phone and iPhone. And once this post is written, the MacBook goes into its case.

My new Liberty of London for Target tote (click here to read more about my obsession with this adorable line) is packed with my Alphasmart, noise-canceling headphones and a snack. I’m headed to Starbucks at daybreak to write.




That’s it. Just write.

Soooo, do you sometimes find social networking to be a bit overwhelming????

www.phyllisbourne.com

5 comments:

Farrah Rochon said...

Breaking out the Alphasmart! What a fabulous idea, Phyllis! Sometimes we need to "sequester" ourselves and get away from all the outside noise. I may do the same thing one day this week.

And, yes, I definitely find the Social Networking to be too much sometimes. I've pretty much abandoned my MySpace page, and hardly ever Twitter. I no longer do Shelfari, never signed up for Goodreads, and blogging...well, I haven't been doing either blogs justice. I need to focus on the writing.

Good luck! I want a report when you return!

Jewel Amethyst said...

Yes, I find it overwhelming and I'm limited to facebook and a one or two others that I check on average once or twice a month. Still it's overwhelming. So I can imagine for those who do all those plus twitter.

Technology... can't live with it, can't live without it

Katrina said...

I'm new to Facebook, so I don't find it overwhelming...yet. I know that I can only handle so much so I don't try to do them all.

I think it's difficult to find that balance between work, and "work". It's so many hats that authors have to put on, I feel kind of resentful that we have to write the books and sell them too. But such is life.
Enjoy your break.

Don said...

I wholeheartedly agree. Sometimes, social networking begins to clutter the mind, especially for writers or those who love to simply tackle thought.

What is that piece of fine machinery in the pic? LOL! Very smart looking. I cannot do without my smartphone, but I have taken internet from my plan.

Far as spring break goes, my little week vacation last week did wonders for my mind clearance.


Enjoy.

Liane Spicer said...

Phyllis, I'll be following in your footsteps. I love my 'net places but long for days of yore when the proliferation of online distractions didn't exist.

"I feel kind of resentful that we have to write the books and sell them too..."

You said it, Katrina. o_O