Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Paris or Bust

The kitchen table, faded pajamas and endless cups of black coffee are my writing reality.


However, I long for a writing day at a sidewalk café in Paris, a steamy café au lait at my fingertips and a newly purchased pair of Repetto ballet flats on my feet.


Writing romance in the City of Light has been at the top of my if-I-hit-the-lotto wish list for eons.


So imagine my delight when I came across Eric Maisel’s, A Writer’s Paris at my local Books-A-Million. Ahhhh, a kindred spirit (except for the shoe part).


I immediately bought it, sat down in the bookstore’s café and spent the afternoon devouring every word. Half travel guide/half writing instruction, the book is broken down into 35 essays that incorporate Paris accommodations and writing spot suggestions as well as a novel planning guide to keep your book on track during your stay.


If a writing sabbatical in Paris isn’t financially realistic - no problem. The real treat of “A Writer’s Paris” is the ideas easily translate to your city, your town, right now.


Because as Maisel writes on page 102 of this book:


“You can write at your desk, you can write at your cubicle at work, you can write – if you are a writer – anywhere.”


Your turn. Where's your fantasy writing spot????

5 comments:

Genella deGrey said...

A private balcony on a luxury liner is where I'd love to pen my next masterpiece.

I dream big, you see.
;)
G.

Liane Spicer said...

Oh crikes, I have to buy this. Adding it to my heap of fantasy feeders!

Liane Spicer said...

Forgot to answer the question... A villa in Tuscany. Beach house on Harbour Island in the Bahamas. A farm on Vancouver Island. A cottage on Sanibel Island, FL.

Okay, I fantasize a lot!

Phyllis Bourne said...

Wow, Genella and Liane. Those are really good ones!!!!

Unknown said...

"All" I want is a lakefront cabin in the mountains: Near enough to civilization that I can stock up on supplies and socialize when I choose. Far enough from civilization that I don't forget why I'm there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh...