Sunday, August 2, 2009

Confessions of a Craft Book Junkie

Years ago, while waiting for my next class to start as a sophomore at Xavier University, I took a seat in the student lounge, flipped to a clean page in my notebook, and started my first novel. Back then, the only thing I knew is that I had a story and I wanted to tell it.

That story was great; I still love it. The writing, however, left much to be desired. I believe the book had 17 points of view, including inanimate objects--there was a desk that thought “ouch” when the police detective slammed a folder on it. But, hey, what did I know about points of view?

Then one day, while browsing the shelves of my local library, I ran across the writing reference section and picked up Sol Stein’s Stein on Writing.

And the addiction began.

It’s been 13 years since I started that first novel, and although I’m pretty happy with my writing system, I am always, always, always looking for ways to improve my craft. That's why I have an entire shelf devoted to books on the writing craft, and I am always adding to my library.

Here’s just a small sample of some of my favorite craft books:

Sol Stein’s Stein on Writing:








Debra Dixon’s Goal, Motivation & Conflict:





Renni Browne and Dave King’s Self-Editing for the Fiction Writer:









Writer's Guide to Character Traits by Linda N. Edelstein, Ph.D.:








A new addition is Donald Maass’s Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook:








The most helpful craft program I’ve used is Carolyn Greene’s Plot Doctor. I've used element's of Carolyn's program for years. It's the first thing I turn to when I start a new story.

Of course, as a confessed craft book junkie, I would love suggestions. All you writers out there, let me know what are some of your favorite writing reference guides. Whether it's craft, surviving the writing life, whatever. I'm interested.

6 comments:

Liane Spicer said...

Aw heck, my very next post, already written, is "What I learned from books on writing". You stole my thunder, Farrah! :)

Actually, the ones I've read thus far have less to do with craft and more to do with attitude, so there's no overlap. I have an Amazon wish list with a couple dozen more, and the only one of yours that's on there is Stein on Writing, so you've given me a few more to investigate. Thanks!

Maria Zannini said...

I like HOOKED by Les Edgerton. It's one of the few craft books that kept me interested from cover to cover.

Phyllis Bourne said...

Self-editing for Fiction Writer's is fantastic, isn't it? My copy is beat-up from all the re-reading.

Beverly said...

While I am not a writer, I might look up a couple of the books listed to help enhance my reading experience.

i believe the more I understand about writing and specific genres helps my appreciation of the books I read.

Farrah Rochon said...

I hope I didn't completely mess this post up, but it looked really funky in my browser so I added some spaces. Doesn't look so bad now.

Liane, I think you've got enough thunder, no matter what I post. And I would love to see what books have helped you. I'm always looking for more books on writing. Can't wait for your post!

Phyllis, I need to get a new copy of Browne & King. The chapters on Show vs. Tell and Beats are practically in tatters.

Maria, I have Les Edgerton's Hooked on my shelf. One of my critique group members bought it for me for Christmas. :) I agree, it's a great one. I also have Finding Your Voice, but haven't read it yet.

Beverly, come back an let us know if reading craft books enhances the reading experience or ruins it. :)

KeVin K. said...

Can't go wrong with Gerald Weinberg's Fieldstone Method. When I teach writing, this will be the text I use.