Saturday, January 29, 2011

FROM NOVEL TO THE SCREEN



I have to admit, one of my longtime dreams as a writer has been to see one of my novels or short stories adapted to the small or big screen. Perhaps this is every professional writer's dream. This has yet to happen with any of my fiction works, but as my dear mother always tell me, "Hope springs eternal."

I have, however, been able to live vicariously through a number of writer friends who have been so fortunate to see their fiction brought to life on television or motion pictures. Most of them speak of the exhilaration of watching on screen what originated in their heads.

Some, however, have complained about the script and production being totally different from the book. Or the wrong actors cast for the part. Or other issues that kept the experience from being totally satisfying.

It reminds me of another saying that sometimes seem apropos, " Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

Then there is that "grass always seem greener on the other side" adage.
I think that as human beings, we are never completely content, whether we make all the professional advances we seek or not. It seems we often expect more of others than ourselves. Or feel that there has to be more to success than this...

I would be less than honest if I said that getting my book adapted to the screen would be everything I could ever want as a writer and promise not to complain too loudly if everything along the process was less than perfect.

What I can say, though, is I hope to get the opportunity to be where some of my writer friends are today in terms of books to movies or TV series, if only to see for myself if the end justifies the means.

In the interim, I will continue to put out print novels and eBooks and wait for my cell phone or e-mail to buzz from some scriptwriter or producer who wants to turn my novel or short story into a visual masterpiece!

What are your thoughts about screenplay adaptation?

Have you ever had a work optioned, adapted, or produced? If so, was it everything you hoped it would be?

4 comments:

Phyllis Bourne said...

Hollywood hadn't come knocking on my door yet.

However, a reviewer once wrote which actors she thought should play the characters in my book, and I thought, "Oh, no! Not him/her!"

SY said...

I totally understand your point... I have seen many movies butcher the books I love..

- sy

Charles Gramlich said...

I never have had anything optioned or even seriously considered. The only reason I'd like to have is for the money, though. I never really had any particular wish to have my stuff turned into TV or movies for the sake of that.

Jewel Amethyst said...

I would be ecstatic of one of my books or novellas be made into film. I'm not even sure I'll care who play the parts as long as they play the parts well and the storyline isn't totally butchered.