Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Makeover Story: Deadline Snack Edition

It’s the same old story.

Every deadline, I give in to my whiny inner toddler. The one who decides deadline is the perfect time to throw a full-blown food tantrum.

“But I can’t write without Pringles.”

“My muse wants a @*#! Hershey bar – now!”

But just like the toddler with a tummy full of junk food, I feel awful afterward.

So I’m cleaning up my deadline eating act.

I can hear your skeptical snorts through my MacBook screen. You’ve heard my vows to eat healthy before, but this time it’s for real.

My beloved salty snacks have already been removed from the kitchen cabinets, along with the emergency chocolates hidden in my fridge’s vegetable crisper.
They’ve been replaced with a new healthy stash.



I’m a few weeks into my new deadline lifestyle, and I’d love to be able to tell you how my junk food loving taste buds now crave the good stuff.

Instead, I look at my new good-for-you snacks and frown. Then the toddler in me asks, "Who in the hell does the grocery shopping around here?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, Phyllis,

I can so relate. For some reason being busy, tight deadlines, seems to be an excuse to eat whatever, whenever. As if walking into the kitchen and grabbing the bag of carrots would take less time than grabbing the ice cream out of the freezer. Duh!

Thanks for the chuckle. And the reminder.

Christie Craig

Liane Spicer said...

Isn't it amazing how you just have to have the junk - then the minute you eat it you feel awful?

Good luck with your healthy snack resolution. Hope your raging success shames me into following suit!

Phyllis Bourne said...

Thanks for stopping by, Christie and Liane.

Someone needs to come up with a pizza and french-fry supermodel diet!