Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Positive motivation of the day


Coming off a themed blog is always hard. Who can compete with a dozen writers’ varying take on one topic? It was interesting enough to tempt me to purchase a copy of Stephen King’s “On Writing” that won hands down as the favorite writing book for most novelnauts, and “The Writing Life” which Susan sold me on. As I was digging hard to find something to blog about today, I stumbled across this on my laptop:



When you’re depressed and frustrated with the task at hand or the situation you’re in, think of your successes of the past. It would help you deal with the failures of today.

It couldn’t have been more appropriate. Book sales lower than expected, cancellation of a summer teaching gig and a few missed employment opportunities I was really feeling like a failure. It was as if I had chosen the two most frustrating careers that required the most preparation. Then I saw the quote. I don’t remember if it was my original or if I copied and pasted from somewhere, but it uplifted me. 

As I reflected on my past successes I noted they were not without obstacles. Whether it was my quest for an education, my goal to be a published author or my desire to have a family, I had to overcome obstacles. In fact, the more difficult the obstacle, the greater and more satisfying the success.

It’s easy for us as writers to sink into the doldrums when the book we spent so many years writing and trying to get published isn’t  selling. We can curse Amazon, the omnipresent giver and taker of earnings and market share. We can throw a pity party blaming ourselves for not doing things properly. We can pull out our hair, if we have any left, wondering what we could do to increase sales. And often times it leaves us feeling like failures. Sometimes we feel like we’re ready to give up on publishing if not writing. And when we see the brick and mortar book stores and the large publishing houses falling like flies, it reinforces our feelings that writing is a waste of time.

It’s times like these that we need to go back and ponder the successes of our past whether small or great. Whatever difficulties we’re going through now we will realize that we are not failures, but the difficulties are hurdles that we must overcome to be successful.

So if I can inspire any author right now (and I know there are lots of you out there) to get out of the doldrums of depression and frustration, I’ll be more than happy. I leave this quote with you:

When you’re depressed and frustrated with the task at hand or the situation you’re in, think of your successes of the past. It would help you deal with the failures of today.


6 comments:

Nicki Elson said...

I recently said something very similar to my son. I want him to hold onto his success in high school after thinking he'd never make it through to know he can make it over every hurdle in his future. Hmm, why didn't I think about taking that advice for myself until reading this post? Thank you!

Jewel Amethyst said...

You're welcome, Nicki. Sometimes we're so caught up comforting, inspiring and motivating others we forget to motivate ourselves. So glad to be of help.

Liane Spicer said...

Hmm, Jewel. A light just went on when I read what you wrote about the two most frustrating careers. Fell right in my garden, as we say in my neck of the woods. :)

Thank you for the inspiration. Yes, the going is tough and I certainly needed to be reminded to reflect on my past successes when the road seems too hard and the rewards too meagre.

Jewel Amethyst said...

Liane, sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for choosing these professions. But I realize, I did not choose them, they chose me. I guess we must have special a special calling.

Neil A. Waring said...

Good advice. I seem to be going through a similar time, except for my life keeps getting in the way of what I want to be doing, oh and my book sales are down also. Love the quote.

Jewel Amethyst said...

Thanks Neil. Hang in there it'll eventually come together i.e. life and what you want to be doing.