Thursday, August 22, 2013

Procastination is the thief of time




“Procrastination is the thief of time” is a statement (or cliché) that I heard my older sister recite numerous times when I was little.  I didn’t know what it meant at that time but every time I put off my homework until the last minute and had to burn the midnight oil or frantically ask for her help she would admonish me, “Procrastination is the thief of time.”


It’s been a long time since I’ve heard that saying.  My sister migrated when I was fifteen and now that we’re living on the same continent we’re separated by several hundred miles and four states. I don’t even know if that saying is still a favorite of hers. However a few days ago, after procrastinating on multiple things I heard her voice whisper in my ear, “Procrastination is the thief of time.”

In the fall, I am scheduled to teach two courses that I have never taught before.  I also have kids either returning to or beginning school in the fall.  But I was caught up with other things so I put off preparing.  I kept saying, as soon as my summer course was done, I will prepare for the fall courses.  As soon as I have completed my WIP I will get the kids ready for school.  When I’ve finished (fill in the blank here) I’ll shop for school uniforms and supplies.  I procrastinated.

Well school begins next week for the kids and so do my courses. Now I have to burn the midnight oil, or as my mother puts it, “run John Canoe” to get everything up and running.  I  find myself asking, “Where did the summer go?” 

Tonight I finally pulled myself away from course preparation to go shop for school supplies.  I went to Target and Wal-Mart, only to find all the more economical backpacks gone and replaced by the picked over, but more expensive ones.  As for plain white gym shoes specified by their school, I could not find affordable ones in their sizes.  So while going from Kohl’s, to Target to Wal-Mart and lots of places in between I heard the soft whisper of my sister’s voice floating on a breeze far away admonishing, “Procrastination is the thief of time.”

I would like to say this is a onetime thing, but alas, it is not.  I find myself doing it a lot in my writing.  I put off, and put off (especially the parts like editing or marketing that I don’t quite enjoy) until the last minute then I have to "run John Canoe" to meet a deadline.  I know I’m not the only writer who procrastinates like this (come on fess up!).  So if you’re a procrastinator like me, remember, “Procrastination is the thief of time.”

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Now I think I'm going to remember that saying. I already knew it, though, and generally am not a procrastinator.

Jewel Amethyst said...

Well in that case Charles you are in the 5% superhuman planner category :).

Most of us are a hybrid: in somethings we are proactive and plan and in other things we procrastinate. I'm gonna be working on being more like you and procrastinate less on the things that I tend to procrastinate on.

William Doonan said...

I've been planning to get back to blog reading for six days now. It's something I genuinely enjoy, but I still kept putting it off because my semester starts again tomorrow. So -- I'm back. Thanks for the reminder!

Jewel Amethyst said...

You're most welcome. My semester starts the same time. Welcome back from vacation. I enjoyed the guest posts and now I'm looking forward to your posts again.