Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More Childhood Writing Lessons

When I was a kid, before we left the house my mom would tuck her favorite spanking belt into her purse.

Her mottos:

Wherever you clown - that’s where we get down.

-and-

Wherever you show out – that’s where we work out.

Hey, it was the 60s. Back then, bad kids were OUT. Butt whippings and martinis were IN.

On the other hand, my military officer dad didn’t believe in corporal punishment. He’s never spanked or even raised his voice at us. Mom’s take: “There was no need. By the time he got home from work the asses were already beat.”

How does this help me with writing?

I carry my netbook or iPad in my purse at all times. I whip them out whenever or wherever to sneak in a few words. I no longer wait until I get home or have a long block of time.

I take care of business right there. Just like mom.

On busy days when a long stint at the keyboard isn’t impossible, I find those stolen minutes really add up. And like my dad, I can relax because the writing is already done.

Anybody else try working in 10 or even 5 minute blocks?

5 comments:

Tom Doolan said...

I usually have a word document of my "project du jour" open at work, and I peck away in small pieces over the course of the day.

Charles Gramlich said...

Either I'm finding it harder to do the five minute thing as I get older, or I'm getting lazier. I used to do it with notepads all the time. Somewhat less today.

Phyllis Bourne said...

@Tom - I also leave my word doc open all the time and do the same.

@Charles Gramlich - As I age, I find it harder to pull the writing all-nighter. Now I fall asleep in my office chair like an old goat.

Jewel Amethyst said...

I use my BlackBerry Torch to write just about anywhere. I just email my WIP to myself when I'm finished, so I can pull it up anywhere.

Liane Spicer said...

Phyllis, this post made me laugh out loud. Your mom is the best!

Some great ideas here. I'm finding I'm not inclined to do the marathons anymore either.